Contemporary Perspectives in Schizophrenia Care
Human Impact of Relapse

Two Distinct Neuroanatomical Subtypes of Schizophrenia Revealed Using Machine Learning

CHAND GB, ET AL.  BRAIN. 2020;143:1027-1038.
1 min

The Study

Using structural MRI and deep machine learning, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania became the first to identify 2 distinct, highly reproducible neuroanatomical subtypes of schizophrenia.

The Analysis

Researchers analyzed brain scans of 307 schizophrenia patients and 364 healthy, age-matched controls and identified that ~60% of schizophrenia patients showed widespread reductions in grey matter, while the remaining 40% had no loss of brain volume, despite controlling for age and duration of illness.

The Reason It Matters

These subtypes challenge the assertion that brain volume loss is a universal feature of schizophrenia and may help facilitate novel strategies for personalized treatment and diagnostics among patients with schizophrenia. These data reinforce the anatomical complexity and heterogeneity within schizophrenia, as well as the importance of individualized care plans for patients.

Explore More

Early, Comprehensive intervention 7 min

What Does a Spoon
Have to Do With
Schizophrenia?

Renowned psychiatrist Dr. René Kahn explains the neuroanatomical consequences of first-episode psychosis.

Human Impact of Relapse 25 min

Quantifying the
Human Impact of
Schizophrenia Relapse

This interactive tool explores the widespread effects of relapse and ways to remediate them.

Patient-centric Care 4 min

A New Standard Emerges

Recent landmark studies support the wide adoption of coordinated specialty care.

Stay Up to Date on the Treatment of Schizophrenia

Sign up

Teva is committed to providing education and enhancing care for everyone living with schizophrenia.

The SCZ Now initiative was created to help support this educational effort.